Angel Mort is a restaurant in Okinomiya owned by Yoshirō, a Sonozaki family member. All of the servers are young women who must wear rather revealing uniforms. Through three seasons of the anime, none have received names, though When They Cry Wiki has affectionately nicknamed a recurrent lass "Waitress Glasses-chan." Sonozaki Shion works there in many arcs. However, in the third season's Watadamashi-hen, Sonozaki Mion actually pretends to be her. This is a significant difference since at that point in the arc, as in Watanagashi-hen, Keiichi does not know Mion actually has a sister and believes she is Mion in disguise.
The specialty of Angel Mort appears to be various coffee drinks, baked goods, and desserts. It is very popular and certain events even draw people from around Japan.
Role in the Story
While Angel Mort does not have any real significance to the mystery, it does appear frequently.
- In Onikakushi-hen, Ōishi takes Keiichi there to talk to him about his friends' involvement in the series of mysterious deaths.
- In Onidamashi-hen, he only talks about the mysterious deaths.
- In Watanagashi-hen and Watadamashi-hen, Keiichi first meets Shion there.
- In Tsumihoroboshi-hen, Mion, Rika, and Satoko are forced to work there for a day as a penalty for losing to Rena and Keiichi in a club game.
- In Minagoroshi-hen and Tataridamashi-hen, the waitresses help Keiichi with his battle with Child Services.
- In Kagebōshi-hen, Ōishi and Akasaka meet with Tomoe and Kaoru in the Kakiuchi city's Angel Mort to ask for their help with the investigation of the Great Hinamizawa Disaster.
- In Batsukoishi-hen, the Soul Brothers gave a forfeit to Mion and Shion in the Angel Mort.
- In Musubienishi-hen, Shion, disguised as Mion, invites Keiichi to Angel Mort to flirt with him.
- In Nekodamashi-hen's fourth loop, a maddened Keiichi ambushes the restaurant and beats multiple waitresses and customers to death, including Rena, Satoko and Rika.
- The lower half of the outfit of the The Seven Sisters of Purgatory, characters in Umineko no Naku Koro ni, and the blue Gauntlet girls in Ciconia no Naku Koro ni, resemble that of the Angel Mort's waitress uniform.
- "Mort" is French for "death" or "dead," and the restaurant's name could be translated as "Angel Death," "Death Angel," or "Dead Angel. While a different kanji, Shion's shi is a homonym for "death."
- All club members have, at one point, worn the Angel Mort uniform.