|Orignal VN Release Date||December 30, 2004|
|Translated VN Release Date(s)||February 28, 2010 (Europe)|
|Anime Air Date(s)||July 18-August 22, 2006|
|Manga Release Date(s)|| Japanese
|Light Novel Release Date(s)|| |
Meakashi-hen (目明し編, Eye Opening Chapter), is the first answer arc in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, released on December 30, 2004, serving as the answer arc to Watanagashi-hen. It follows Himatsubushi-hen and precedes Tsumihoroboshi-hen. Told from Sonozaki Shion's point of view, it follows her life and her psychotic behavior caused by the loss of the person she loves, Hōjō Satoshi.
This arc confirms that Satoshi did kill his aunt, and that he saved and withdrew money to buy Satoko a teddy bear. He was not planning on running away when he disappeared. Shion and Mion's estrangement, such as why they go to different schools, is also explained.
Sonozaki Shion escapes from her private school to return to Hinamizawa. During her time there, she meets Satoshi, who protected her from a group of thugs. She also begins borrowing her twin sister Sonozaki Mion's identity, eventually taking over her life as her paranoia increases. This arc reveals that because Mion and Shion switched occasionally, and that their own names were reversed, Shion (the twin we know as Mion) was given the demon tattoo instead of Mion (the twin we know as Shion).
The twin in Watanagashi-hen who tortures everyone is actually Shion dressed as Mion. She imprisons Mion in the cellar the day after the Watanagashi Festival which means that all occurrences of "Mion" afterwards in Watanagashi-hen is Shion acting as her. Shion switches places with Mion one final time to tase her so that she fall down the well to her death. Shion is rescued by police as Shion, which leads everyone to believe Mion was the true culprit who accidentally fell and broke her neck.
While tormented by her consciousness which, Shion continues her vendetta and stabs Keiichi in the stomach declaring that she succeeded in killing all she targeted. When she tries to sneak into her apartment through her window to avoid police surveillance, she slips and falls to her death.
Recovering in the hospital, Keiichi hallucinates "Mion" torturing him and dies from an apparent heart attack.
- Episode One: First Love
- Episode Two: Settlement
- Episode Three: Demon's Blood
- Episode Four: Retaliation
- Episode Five: Cold Hands
- Episode Six: Conviction
Disappearances and DeathsEdit
All deaths and disappearances are listed only as they are told in Meakashi-hen. Spoilers are only for the individual arc, not the overall series.
- Hōjō Satoshi, went missing from the village on June 24, 1982.
- Hōjō Tamae, murdered June 20, 1982 on the night of the Watanagashi Festival by Satoshi.
- Tomitake Jirō, died of blood loss after clawing out his own throat June 19, 1983, on the night of the Watanagashi.
- Takano Miyo, hung in the mountains of Gifu on June 19, 1983. Her corpse was burned up in an oil drum.
- Sonozaki Oryō, died from shock by Shion's stun gun. Shion went on to whip the corpse causing severe lacerations on the scalp and head before disposing of the body down the well.
- Furude Rika, committed suicide on June 21, 1983. She repeatedly stabbed herself in the neck with a kitchen knife, then tore her own throat open with her bare hands. In the anime, she stabs herself in the side of her neck and bleeds to death).
- Kimiyoshi Kiichirō, shocked by Shion on June 20, 1983. He was left to hang barely on his toes from a restraining device tied around his neck, where he eventually died from strangulation on June 22, 1983.
- Hōjō Satoko, captured by Shion on June 21, 1983. She was tied to a cross and stabbed repeatedly with a dagger. Died of hemorrhagic shock on June 22, 1983 In the anime, Shion stabbed her multiple times in the arms to torture her, before finally stabbing her in the forehead.
- Sonozaki Mion, shocked by Shion as she was climbing down the well's ladder, she loses her grip and falls and fractures her skull on June 22, 1983. In the anime, Shion tases her as she stands at the edge of the well.
- Maebara Keiichi, stabbed in the stomach by Shion (disguised as Mion) on June 30, 1983. Sustained heavy injuries, but recovered steadily after surgery. He suddenly died in the hospital from acute heart failure on July 3, 1983. The anime cuts just as he sees Shion, appearing as her "Mion" from the Sonozaki torture chamber, start to torture him.
- Sonozaki Shion, slipped off the side of her apartment and fell onto a room's roof below and suffered a concussion. She regained consciousness and committed suicide by falling once more, smashing her head open on June 30, 1983. In the anime, her shirt becomes caught on an "invisible nail" and she falls directly to her death.
- Kasai Tatsuyoshi, died in 2002 from liver cancer (according to the TIPS).
The little girl cried when she lost her marbles in the desert.
The little girl cried when she thought she might've lost them in the sea rather than the desert.
The little girl cried when she thought she might've lost them in the mountains than the sea.
|Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai|
|Meakashi-hen | Tsumihoroboshi-hen | Minagoroshi-hen | Matsuribayashi-hen|